Monday, 5 December 2011

When emotions sneak up on you

Ok, so yesterday I was going on about how it was important to recognise things that bring you down so that you can prepare for them in the future. But, what happens when negative emotions sneak up on you, out of the blue, with no warning?
Today I have been struck by such unforeseen feelings. I know I had anticipated feeling low because of work, but that's not what this is. When I was out walking earlier I just felt like breaking down in tears, tight there in the street. All I have learnt about coping with depression focusses on identifying causes and tackling them, but right now I am lost as to the cause and solution to this.
A big part of me wants to sleep. Sleep might help, but it is also one of my key go-to strategies for avoiding feelings and situations I don't want to tackle.
Do you ever feel like, no matter how much you prepare yourself, sometimes depressed feelings just come over you from no where in particular?

Betty
x

4 comments:

  1. Once you get a thought in your head it's difficult to shift it. Good news is your brain can only think of one thing at a time. So find a tune (nothing you really like,something inane) and hum it, out loud if you need to. Takes a bit of effort and practice but eventually it drowns out the bad stuff and gives you a platfrom to fill you head with something positive. Film themes are good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just discovered your blog and I think you're so brave to share your feelings like this. I've gone through similar depression and you can feel so lonely. But your blog reminds me that I'm not alone in feeling this way, that depression can affect so many different people, so thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josie - Thank you so much for your comment. Sometimes when I'm just moaning on here I don't feel very brave. I just really want other people suffering with depression to know that there are others going through the same things and to share the things I learn about what helps and what doesn't. I have wanted to give up in the past, and I don't want anyone else to ever feel like that.
    Thank you for dropping by, Betty x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spanner - Thanks for the suggestion, I'll start building my mental repertoire of movie theme tunes, Betty x

    ReplyDelete