Tuesday, 17 May 2011

Tears for Fears

Sometimes tears are good. I knew this anyway, but it is something my mother said to me this evening.
Some people are afraid to cry, maybe because they think it makes them look weak or because it's not exactly an attractive sight. It's true, you will rarely be able to look good when crying - maybe some of this Hollywood movie crying where perfect clear tears run over flawless, porcelain cheeks without leaving a trace - but not real crying, when your face is contorted, your eyes are puffy, your nose is running and any make-up you were wearing congeals and smudges leaving you looking like something out of an emo horror movie. This being said, crying is a truly cathartic experience, it's often something that you can't avoid, as something opens the flood gates and everything comes pouring out. It happens like this because it has to, if you burst into tears it's because you need to let something out.
I've had a good cry this evening, as a result of the fears that have been building about my meeting tomorrow combined with realising I ate far too much pizza and weight more than I am happy with. In all honesty, I feel better for it. It's like the pressure inside me has been released. I'm not saying the problem has gone away, it definitely hasn't, but I'm far too emotionally exhausted from crying to care right now.
Crying is a positive thing, it's not nice when it's happening, and sometimes it feels like it'll never stop, but it will stop and you'll most likely feel better for it.
Don't stop yourself from crying. Fair enough there may be situations in which you don't want to cry (at work or on a bus maybe), but don't hold it back for too long, when you feel comfortable with the situation, just let it out.

I'm not sure how this will come across. I'm not promoting unhappiness, I just think that stopping yourself from crying is counter-productive and that crying has a bad public perception that makes some people feel guilty for doing it, and I think that is wrong.

Hope you are holding up ok,
Betty
x

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. Sometimes when I'm feeling sad and overwhelmed but can't quite put my finger on what's bothering me, a good long cry is just what I need. I usually do it in a nice hot shower it drains me, then I can sleep and wake up feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of us work hard at not crying simply because it can hurt too bad once started, and it seems best to not go there. Other times, a cry is indeed good. It depends.

    ReplyDelete